Choosing CLI Tools
This Site’s Lab Menu Items Together Help You Choose and Use Different CLI Learning Options
Primary Purpose of Lab Menu Items
- To provide insight into pros/cons of several CLI learning tools
- Focuses on learning features for CCENT/CCNA
- Introduces the tool and key points
- Your job: research further, make your own choices
Focus Areas for Opinions Shown Here
- Does give Wendell’s personal opinions about CLI tools
- Does focus on certification learning features of tools
- Does NOT analyze all aspects of each CLI tool
- Does NOT consider use beyond CCENT and CCNA R&S prep
Points of Analysis for CLI Tools
CLI Tools Listed at this Site
Real simple. Buy real Cisco routers and switches – typically used to keep the price down – and use real Cisco IOS software.
A simulator from Cisco System’s Network Academy group, with plenty of features.
Legacy Info about Used Routers and Switches
- During 2000’s and early 2010’s, real gear was the best option for CCENT and CCNA study.
- During those years, Wendell published blog posts about choosing used gear for CCENT and CCNA study.
- Certskills.com included reference pages about those used devices and related info.
- Eventually, the other options became good enough to use instead.
- Wendell does not update the lab gear blogs and reference pages any more. But…
- …for those who might still want to see the old info, look to the Lab Gear branch of the Lab menu item on this site.