Overview: 2960 Series Switches
The 2960 series serves as a commonly-used wiring closet access layer switch, much like the 2950. Cisco continues to sell the 2960 series as of the last update of this web page (March, 2010). As such, this switch series has not yet seen used switch prices fall to any reasonable level for use in a home certification lab.
The main reason to consider this model series is for the support of some CCNP features that are not supported on the older LAN switches available in the used market. In particular, the 2960s support Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI), IP Source Guard (IPSG), and DHCP Snooping.
|Popularly sold as new in years:||2006 – today|
|Common Replacement:||Not yet|
|Main Software Options:||LAN Base, LAN Lite|
2960 Series Software
The model of 2960 series switch determines which of two software branches can run on the switch. The software branches, like feature sets on routers, are:
- LAN Base Software for Enhanced Function
- LAN Lite Software for Base-Line Function
The first of these is used with higher-end switches, and includes more functions, whereas the second is used on lower end switches. Given the current price point, I have not closely examined the LAN Base versus LAN Lite features, and how that might affect the choice of which to use for a Cisco certification lab.
2960 Series Hardware
Normally, this table would list the models most useful for lab practice, in part chosen based on the price in the used market. In this case, the table lists four models that have the lowest price, and use the LAN Base software. These may be the first 2960 models to reach a reasonable used price at some point in the future.
Potentially Popular 2960 Switches with LAN Base software
|Product Number||10/100 ports||10/100/1000 ports||SFP ports||1000 BaseT ports|
* Either an SFP port or a 10/100/1000 port.
Notes and Advice
- Doc page: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6406/tsd_products_support_series_home.html
- 2960 Product page: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/index.html
- Data sheet – 2960 with LAN Base software: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html
- Data Sheet – 2960 with LAN Lite software: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd806b0bd8.html
- Confirm with Feature Navigator: www.cisco.com/go/cfn