- Desktop software (downloadable)
- Purpose: to build virtual networks for testing and learning
- Scope: Most Cisco OS’s, far beyond certification
- CLI: Runs real Cisco OS with real CLI
- Lab exercises: None integrated into product
- Licensing: Includes license to use IOS and other Cisco OS’s
Are Lab Exercises Included?
Are Labs Easily Available on the Net?
Trusted authors of CCENT/CCNA labs?
Overall Usefulness for Lab Learning
Analysis: Time and Dollar Costs
Time Overhead: Medium
Assuming you have enough laptop/desktop power to run VIRL there, you need some time to learn the install/setup details. Call it 2 hours.
Initial Cost No Hardware: Medium
VIRL Personal Edition: $200 annual license. To run it on your desktop, you need additional software; some options cost $.
Initial Cost with Hardware: High
If your laptop/desktop does not have the CPU/RAM to do what you need with VIRL, you will need to add a beefy desktop or small server.
Annual Cost: Medium
Cisco licenses VIRL annually; price has been $200/year since it first hit the market.