- Overview: Emulator that lets you run instances of real network OS’s
- Package: Desktop software (downloadable)
- Purpose: to build virtual networks for testing and learning
- Scope: Cisco IOS plus some other Cisco/Non-Cisco
- CLI: Runs real Cisco OS with real CLI
- Lab exercises: None integrated into product
- Licensing: Does not supply you with IOS
Are Lab Exercises Included?
Are Labs Easily Available on the Net?
Trusted authors of CCENT/CCNA labs?
Overall Usefulness for Lab Learning
Analysis: Time and Dollar Costs
Time Overhead: Low
Assuming you have enough laptop/desktop power to run GNS3 there, you need some time to learn the install/setup details. Call it 2 hours.
Initial Cost No Hardware: Zero
Software-wise, GNS3 is free, and required additional software includes free options.
Initial Cost with Hardware: High
Annual Cost: Zero/Low
Zero software cost for GNS3 itself. You might have chosen virtualization software with an annual fee.